1. I can spend my money however I want. I can pay my bills, or buy a new purse, or give a friend gas money, or buy makeup, or go to a concert, and I don’t have to ask anyone’s permission to do it because it’s my money and I can spend it where I see fit.
2. I only have to deal with MY parents. As much as I am looking forward to expanding my family someday to include in-laws, I can at the moment barely handle my own parents. Some days are better than others, and I don’t need to have two sets of people who are older than me causing me to pull my hair out right now.
3. I can invest my time wherever I want. I can spend lots of time with God. It doesn’t always happen, but I have the option that I foolishly pass up on a regular basis to have that alone time with my Creator. Or I can lavish it on friends. Or I can be alone. No matter what it is, it’s my decision.
4. I don’t have to consider anyone’s opinion on my appearance but my own. I like to change it sometimes for no reason. I like to wear what I like, do with my hair what I think is awesome, wear the makeup that I want to wear. I like to do what I want with how I look, and I am grateful that I don’t have to deal with anyone else telling me how they want it to be.
6. I can be sad about being single and not feel alone. When I am emotionally destroyed, even when I’m being a miserable and annoying idiot, I know that I have single friends who can understand where I’m coming from and relate, and attached friends who can pretend they remember what its like being in my situation and give me sympathy.
7. I can sleep without disruption from another human. I don’t have to worry about being roundhouse kicked in the back or punched in the stomach because someone is a very active sleeper. I also don’t have to sweat my skin off, because in my experience every single male on the planet runs at about 102 degrees. And I don’t have to deal with snoring.
8. I can have bad habits. It’s one thing to get crap about my bad habits from friends and family, but I’m really ok with not having to give up what I like that someone else doesn’t just because they want me to.
9. I can relate to almost every Taylor Swift song.
10. I can be delusional about love. I can still have the fantastical idea of love being like what I read in books and see on TV and in the movies. Ignorance is bliss, my friends.
12. I can cook for myself whatever gross food I want because I like it. You know, I think I’ll make a stir-fry that looks like regurgitated Chinese food, or a split pea soup that looks like baby barf. The list goes on folks.